after a comment was left by a visitor, i decided to check out the pMachine to moveable type import script. it looked pretty straightforward and i quickly got my entries from pMachine to MT.
then wordpress has a MT ==> WP import feature, so i used that to get all my old entries back into the blog. man, talk about going through hoops.
unfortunately, i had pMachine rewrite my links to its internal format, and so all of my links had this weird notation in it. wordpress’ impressive plugin feature saved the day and with some headscratching and some regular expression work, everything seems to have come out for the better! i’m really digging wordpress now, the possibilities seem endless now, and i’ve now written my second plugin for wordpress. pretty easy, actually.